Sunday, February 8, 2009

A few changes

Tomorrow is the first "official" day of work, where all the returning staff will be back and the one new staff member on our staff of ten will be arriving. I am looking forward to a new season, but am challenging myself to not focus on the aspects of the job that I didn't like as much, or the silly little things about my co-workers that occassionally annoy me (living and working with the same people for over a year can lead to a few minor pet peeves that can easily spiral out of control with the wrong attitude!), and to work as hard as I can to do my best. I know that last one sounds silly, but there is a lot of additional information and a lot of opportunities to go "above and beyond" that can be taken advantage of. However, I sometimes fall into the "I'm too tired" or "Someone else can do it" frame of mind. I even find myself counting down the days, hours, or even minutes until a particular group of students departs (whether I just am having a hard time with the kids in my group, I'm exhausted, or I'm excited about time off, it happens). Of course, this attitude means that the students I'm working with are shorted something from the program, regardless of whether or not they realize it. And while I like to think (as we all do) that I am good at my job, I've come to realize that doesn't always mean that I'm doing my best at it. And while I might be good, what's stopping me from being great? So I'm trying to go into this season with a strong attitude, a good work ethic, and a lot of enthusiasm.
Something I am finding extremely helpful in this regard is a book I'm reading. It's a devotional book for women that I've had for years and have read at least twice before. While it sounds corny, it's called "The Power of a Positive Woman." And while the writing itself isn't about to win any pulitzer prizes, the points the book makes are right on and extremely encouraging. For some reason, while other devotion books have left me feeling somewhat fru-fru (how do you even spell that word?) with tips and suggestions that make me feel categorized into a very small box and creating an idea of a woman that I don't feel I was created to be, this one always seems to hit home. First, it plays to my weakness - inspirational quotes and Bible verses. I love them. And there's one on every other page! I'm sold right there:-) Content-wise, though, the book is filled with helpful thoughts about life, God, and joy. One distinction that has stuck with me since I first read the book is the distinction between joy and happiness. The author writes that while we might be seeking happiness, happiness is temporary and circumstancial. Our jobs, our relationships, our health, our family and friends - all play into whether or not we are happy. Joy, however, is something much deeper. Joy comes from God, and is permanent. No matter how bad the situations in our lives our, we can still be filled with joy from God. So bad days will happen, bad things will happen, and you might not always be happy - but you can always be filled with joy (which, incidentally, will lead to more happiness). Oh, also another cool thing I learned from the book - the word "enthusiasm" comes from the Greek "en theos" meaning "God within." So in its original form, when we say we are enthusiastic, it means that we are filled with God. I like to think about how people act when they are enthusiastic about something, and then think about how that's how one should act when in a relationship with God. How beautiful is that?
Anyway, the point of all of this is that I am working hard to be more positive about things. I want God's love to shine through me - and my negative attitude definitely does not help with that perception! Even after just a few days of focusing on and praying about this, I feel a change. I feel better about life, not so overwhelmed about things, and am definitely enjoying things significantly more! It's pretty awesome, actually.

1 comment:

  1. Amen! To add to that, the quote on my desktop says "The heart that is constantly overflowing with gratitude will be safe from those attacks of resentfulness and gloom that bother so many persons" (A.W. Tozer) Praise God for His mercy and helping up keep the right perspectives in all situations! :-)

    ReplyDelete