Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Gushing

The last few weeks have been incredibly emotional for a couple of reasons, but have also shown me something very valuable. This might be corny, but through the entire ordeal where my emotions have been random and almost out-of-control, D has been my side through it all. He's encouraged me to talk when I wanted to bottle things in, he let me snot all over his sweatshirt when I cried (I think there's a permanent stain on there now...), he helped me come up with practical solutions to issues, and also been supportive in my quest to relinquish control over circumstances that I have no right or manner to control. I've always thought we had a strong relationship, but the last two weeks have really shown me how much he cares for me, and what he's willing to do to show me this. Most recently this included attending Becca's funeral with me, even though it involved taking two days off of work (and thus not getting paid for those days) and wearing dress shoes (trust me, it was a bigger deal than one might think). And he hardly knew Becca - he met her briefly at her wedding last May. It really meant a lot to me to have him by my side; I definitely feel stronger when he's around and it was such a wonderful feeling to have that support. I'm used to being on my own a lot, so it's been a challenge for me to share my struggles with him, but he's been patient and understanding (while also pushing when needed). I don't know what's prompted me to write this, and I realize this is silly and girly, but I wanted to share it; it's such a new, different feeling for me, and I just feel so fortunate to have this time with him. I'm always interested in the reasons why God brings certain people into someone's life, and I am feeling really blessed to have him in mine. He's my best friend, and goes out of his way to show me how he feels. From large gestures like supporting me through tough times, to small gestures that happen every day, he is definitely amazing. Last night, for example, it got very cold. I only have two regular blankets with me, and my cabin doesn't have the best insulation. Fearing that I would be cold, he came over - across camp in the cold! - in the middle of the night with an extra blanket from his cabin, just to make sure I would be warm enough. (I was already asleep and didn't notice the cold until he came in, but when I woke up early this morning I was very thankful!) Anyway, I guess I just wanted to gush, so that's it. This guy rocks :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment