Monday, January 19, 2009

Balaclava Fiesta





In case anyone has been questioning my complete dorkiness, I offer these photos as proof. A while ago D came up with the idea of making balaclavas. Last spring, we froze during staff training in the mountains of Alabama (yes, even the guy from New York thought it was cold). I don't care of it's the south - when you're outside all day long and in the mountains, it gets pretty chilly. So as a way to make staff training slightly less frostbite-inducing, he bought micro fleece and decided that we would make balaclavas. Finding the basic pattern was easy - there are tons online that are free and can be printed off. It was the spikes that proved the challenge - an additional that D really wanted and made the project a lot more challenging. Oddly enough, sewing machines don't like to sew through four layers of fleece fabric. Funny that. Anyway, D's rather skilled when it comes to visual concepts of things, so he conceptualized how to make the spikes. While I have no talent with visual concepts, I do know how to sew, so that's where my part came in. He told me what he wanted and cut things out of the fabric, I found a way to put it all together. I didn't want spikes on mine, though. So D very ingeniously came up with a way to make it a frog. With eyelashes. I am pretty sure we're the dorkiest twenty-somethings ever. However, the balaclavas are warm, functional, and great conversation starters. It was also a great experiment with D & Sarah collaborations - we proved we could work together on a creative project and not kill each other. I am proud to report that the only injuries were from random pin pricks and shocks from static electricity due to fleece-on-hair.

5 comments:

  1. Although we are dorks... I never thought we would kill each other. And I was right!

    Yay Warm Hood Thingies!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So can you actually SEE when the frog's mouth is closed? I don't think it was dorky, I think they're cool, in that fun, artsy, I-don't-care-what-people-think kind of way. But maybe that says something about me ;-) Cute, cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are great. I saw your pics on facebook and initially thought you'd bought them at a ski lodge or somewhere else that sells crazy stuff like that. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you have a blog. And I thought that was very funny.



    Isaac

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I love these! So creative. And funny :-)

    ReplyDelete