Saturday, January 17, 2009

Easiest dessert ever

Okay, while I'm not much of a cook (I'm working on it, though!), I do love to make yummy desserts. A few weeks ago I found this recipe (courtesy of D's mom) that is incredibly easy and incredibly delicious. It's great for a party snack, or as a dessert that will last a couple days around the house. For lack of a better name, we've dubbed them "Oreo Balls," but feel free to get more creative. They're super easy. All you need is:

1 package of Oreos
1 package of cream cheese
Dipping chocolate

Here's all you do: grind up the Oreos in a food processor until they're very finely ground (or you can smash them to death with a rolling pin - either one works just fine). In a medium bowl, mix them with the package of cream cheese. It's best if the cream cheese is somewhat softened beforehand - either at room temp or in the microwave for a few seconds. Mix that up until there aren't any big chunks of cream cheese left and there are no big dry spots of Oreo crumbs. Form into balls about 1 inch in diameter, put on a cookie sheet, and refrigerate for one hour. Then, melt the dipping chocolate, dip/cover the balls in the chocolate, place on wax paper to harden (they cool pretty quick but to expedite this you can put them somewhere cool.) Enjoy!

I've used both milk chocolate and dark chocolate for the dipping, and so far dark chocolate is my favorite, but that's just personal preference. Just a quick warning- once the undipped Oreo balls have been cooled for an hour, they do look rather unappetizing. I promise, they taste much better than they look!!! :-)

1 comment:

  1. MMmmmmm! you ARE going to make these when you come visit, right? It might be a requirement ;-)

    ReplyDelete