Saturday, January 24, 2009

Update from the road

Today D & I are leaving Camp Caraway and our good friends Jeremy, Michelle, and Zack, and heading to Charlotte to see my friends Sarah & Crystal. Time here at camp has been relaxing and very enjoyable - it's a beautiful campus to wander around. We had a chance to take Violet (age 4) for a walk the other day, and it was so much fun to see everything through a child's eyes! She was obsessed with the small patches of snow lingering on the ground, and kept bending over to poke her fingers in it, always shocked by the icy coldness. I showed her how to draw faces in the snow, and she became convinced that every face I drew was her dad. I also broke off a little piece of ice from the lake for her to hold, and tried to explain to her the difference between snow & ice (she just calls everything "ice"). I think I lost her when she started stomping through the "slimy ice" and I introduced the word "slush." She stopped at a willow tree by the lake and pointed out how it had no more leaves on it; I tried to explain why leaves fall off the trees, but was halfway into the spiel when I remembered that she was only four, and the blank stare I was receiving was most likely warrented.
Both Jeremy & Michelle have been a little sick, so yesterday D & I took Lily (~8 months) for a walk so Michelle could have some "quiet" time. In her very cool Jeep stroller (which is absolutely perfect to off-roading, and I highly recommend to anyone who likes to go off the beaten path), Lily dosed off to sleep rather quickly in the mild winter weather. I, on the other hand, had a chance to discover how out of shape I am, pushing that stoller up and down all the hills on campus. I definitely worked up a sweat, and now understand why women like my sister and Michelle always slim right down after having a baby!
Yesterday D & I also went for a hike "up the mountain," which was the longest walk we've gone on in quite a while and definitely reminded me that I have gotten out of shape this winter! Fortunately, we're spending a few days in Black Mountain which will allow for some good hiking opportunities, weather permitting. On the hike yesterday, we (by "we" I mean "D") found some coyote tracks. There were tons of them; it looked like a pretty decent sized group following some deer tracks.
I am supposed to be looking up directions to Charlotte right now, so I am going to stop blogging and actually get on that. Fingers crossed that the sun comes out for the drive; right now it's a little gloomy looking, but at least the weather is mild and not bone-chilling. Gotta love the south.

No comments:

Post a Comment